RI@Harvard successfully staged a campaign for Harvard to establish a social choice fund as an option for alumni donation!
Alumni interested in donating to the Capital Campaign in a socially responsible way can now donate to the Social Alternative fund via Harvard’s website.
For more information, see the following pages of our site:
- Investment policy statement
- Statements and letters in support of the campaign
- Donors to the Fair Harvard Fund
- Our initial list of demands
Brief timeline of the Fair Harvard Fund campaign:
- March 21st, 2012: RI@Harvard launches its first campaign, for a Social Choice fund at Harvard.
- November, 2012: On the eve of Harvard’s 375th anniversary, 375 donors had withheld donations to Harvard in the Fair Harvard Fund, an escrow fund.
- December 12, 2012: Harvard declares that it will create a Social Choice fund. Over 450 donors had put over $10,000 into the Fair Harvard Fund.
- July, 2013: Harvard’s new Social Alternative fund goes into effect and is invested in Parnassus Equity Income Fund.
- March, 2014: RI@Harvard officially turns over the Fair Harvard Fund to Harvard.
Below, you can real the initial campaign launch blurb from the Fair Harvard Fund:
The Fair Harvard Fund, officially launched on Wednesday, March 21st, 2012, is RI@Harvard’s first campaign!
Please donate to The Fair Harvard Fund (FHF) to tell the Harvard Management Company (HMC) that you want the option to donate to a Social Choice fund when you make a gift to the endowment.
Your donation will be held in escrow until the HMC accepts the money by creating a Social Choice fund.
Immediately it will be held by Responsible Investment at Harvard at the Cambridge Savings Bank, a locally owned bank in Harvard Square.
If the HMC has not created a Social Choice fund by August 1, 2012, the FHF will be invested according to environmental, social, and governance criteria by the Responsible Endowments Coalition, a 501c3 non-profit organization, until the HMC accepts the money.
You can donate and see how FHF is doing at fairharvardfund.com!